[Vm-dev] X window handling

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 10:27:41 UTC 2007

Hi Ian, David,

I think you're the experts for Squeak X window handling ... What
would be needed to modify the Unix VM to not open a window until the
beDisplay() primitive is called? That's how the Mac and Acorn VMs
handle things, making headless operation controllable from the image.

David, I guess this would be similar to how your XDisplayControl
plugin works?

Secondly, what's your estimate of making the host window support
work? It is implemented on Win and Mac VMs but not X11 yet. It
basically is just some primitives to open, close, resize, and move
windows, and display bits, plus the event reporting to the image
needs to set a window index field.

For OLPC I need the ability to have multiple top-level windows, and I
need to know their XID from the image. I only ever need to draw and
handle events in the top-most window since all windows are full-
screen (*). That means the full host window plugin support isn't
actually needed, but I think it still makes sense because OLPC
development continues on Mac and Win, too. If at all sensible I'd
like to avoid OLPC-specific bits in the VM. Besides, more folks seem
to be interested in multiple window support.

Anyway, what's the best way to approach this? Anybody taking it on?
Or at least lending me a hand? ;)

- Bert -

(*) I tried to convince the OLPC folks to support multiple activity
instances (**) sharing a single X window but so far I failed. In the
mean time I'll just fake multiple X windows ...

(**) If anybody is interested: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
Activity_DBus_API