[Vm-dev] VMMaker + FAQ

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Nov 4 21:57:12 UTC 2007

On Nov 3, 2007, at 4:22 , Ian Piumarta wrote:

>> Andrew's latest update is here, ready to be moved to squeakvm.org:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>
> Linked (twice) from the squeak64 front page.  I hope I didn't break
> anything while adding the internal links.
>
> Cheers, and THANKS!

This is excellent info, thanks to Andrew and all contributors.

One thing that is odd not about the FAQ but about our beloved VMMaker
tool is that the "64-bit VM?" check box in VMMaker actually governs
building support for a 64-bit image, to use the FAQ's terms:

"What is a 64-bit image? A 64-bit image is an image in which the
object memory uses a 64-bit word size for object pointers"

"What is a 64-bit VM? A 64-bit VM is one which is compiled with the
LP64 or ILP64 data model"

So IMHO we should change that check box label to something indicating
"64-bit image support" to reduce a major confusion point. Putting a
link to the FAQ (or even a copy of the FAQ) into the tool itself
might be an extra bonus.

- Bert -