[Vm-dev] Millisecond clock wraparound

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Oct 19 20:45:11 UTC 2007

On 19-Oct-07, at 1:17 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> In the 3.10 date and time code It seems I wrongly assumed that the
> millisecond clock would wrap-around at SmallInteger maxVal.
>
> Is there a way to know this exactly for every platform?
In the current VM code the timer is wrapped at SmallInteger maxVal //
2 because it was a simple hack fix to setting long delays - ie if the
max tick value was 1B and the max delay interval 1B then it wouldn't
overflow. I proposed a much better fix ages ago that I think was
incorporated.
It's not a platform issue so far as I know.

tim
Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.