[Vm-dev] accents in unix using non-english languages

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at edu.juntaextremadura.net
Fri Sep 28 17:36:48 UTC 2007

Hi
I've been trying to use accents and non-english characters (as the
spanish ñ) with the vm, and up to now the behaviour is totally erratic
and with some regretions. Maybe the developing is only be made in
english and it's not being tested in other languages, maybe the
documentation is not clear enough, or maybe I'm just useless...

I brief:
- Using vm 3.9-9 and below up to 3.7,  the accents and other characters
worked when setting the environment variable LC_ALL to 'es_ES' (using
UTF-8 it didn't work). But with this image drag & drop of external files
with accents in their names, or using the file list to open them didn't
work (tested only with gif & jpeg files)
- Using vm 3.9-12 I can open files with accents in their names using the
file list, but drag & drop don't work. And now the keyboard doesn't work
with accents or other non-english characters. After loading Bert
Changeset
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-March/001046.html) I can write ñ and accents, but they are printed before the vowel instead of over the vowel. I. e: 'o instead of ó.

I've wasted a lot of time playing with the  -encoding, -pathenc and
-textenc options without any success.

So my questions are:
- is this totally broken ?
- is anybody else aware of this behaviour?
- haven't I been able to find the right documentation to make it work
and it should work fine?

Regards.
José L.