[Vm-dev] Want to start using/porting HydraVM

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:11:57 UTC 2008

Hi. I'm working on a project at my school to make squeak run on
a Cell Broadband Engine, and HydraVM seems the best way to do
that. Currently, the easiest/simplest way I see to do that is
to:

1. Port HydraVM to Linux
2. Get it running on a Cell
3. Modify it so the sub-interpreters run in a SPU thread rather
   than a PPU thread
4. Add a plugin for Cell's Memory Flow Controller to Craig's
   Flow stream library
5. Get a tiny spoon image started on each SPU

Unfortunately, I'm totally new to VM development, and don't know
a good way to get started. Currently, I don't have a PS3, only a
Cell emulator, and I don't want to figure out how to adapt
Squeak to cross-compile onto it, as it won't be neccessary in
the long term. So:

What is the best way to get started finding my way around the
VM, and figuring out what modifications you made for Hydra? Are
there specific C files I should be looking at, or is it mostly
changes made within VMMaker? I've never figured out how to
successfully build a VM using VMMaker, I've only been able to
use the pre-generated sources.

Sorry for the overly generic questions. I hope to have more
specific ones soon! Thanks for your work!