[Vm-dev] Debugging Squeak with GDB: "Cannot find new threads: generic error"

André Wendt andre.wendt at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Mar 23 12:18:58 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to debug a Squeak VM I built using GDB. However, I can't even
start up Squeak:

$ gdb ./bld/squeak
GNU gdb 6.7.1-debian
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run squeak.image
Starting program: /home/andre/mysqueakvm/platforms/unix/bld/squeak
squeak.image
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot find new threads: generic error
Cannot find new threads: generic error
(gdb)

Do I have to compile the VM differently in order to get it to work?

I'd appreciate any hints.

Best,
André