[Vm-dev] VMMaker updating: Mantis 6828 and the future of copying files

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Tue May 27 20:18:50 UTC 2008

At 9:54 PM +0200 5/27/08, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:
>On 27.05.2008, at 20:33, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>>OK, two issues here, one shortterm, one longer term.
>>
>>a) in mantis 6828 Dave Lewis proposes some changes to fix some 64bitness issues. They look good to me and he added tests. However I'm not responsible for unix vms and I'm not about to commit those changes.  Somebody else will have to handle that and close the mantis report etc.
>
>Ian added Dave's VMMaker patches already, so I assume he'd merge these things, too. OTOH if we were to drop the FileCopyPlugin, we would not need to update it, right?
>
>>b) I'm reasonably sure that all the platforms we are interested in now support file links of some sort. File copying (and the vile FileCopyPlugin may it be cursed to the bottom of the pits of Vista) was only ever used because we had no linking available. Eliot will cheerfully (I'm sure) rabbit on for hours about how we used to handle things in the brouhaha source tree, where sets of files for particular platforms were assembled by links from the assorted subsystems, thus making it easy to make. Or even nmake.
>>It would be really nice to agree a path towards a brighter future where VMMaker doesn't have to copy files and worry about damned permissions/attributes/flavours/whatever. Thoughts please?
>

>Bury it I'd say. Who was using it anyway?
>
>Btw, I think it would be nice to revive
>
>	http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html
>
>Also, some idea about how to handle plugins development-wise would be nice. The unix VM now ships several non-default plugins (DBus, GStreamer, Rome, maybe more) that one has to download from different repositories. Maybe the source for those should be added to the VMMaker repo? Or added to SVN? Maybe even a whole VMMaker image?
>
>- Bert -

I agree, it would be nice to have one place where the source for all the plugins lives. Failing that, at least a index there that shows where they all can be found.

And if working on all this VMMaker stuff, how about making the naming of the plugins consistent?

I have found at least:

internal plugin B3DEnginePlugin generated as Squeak3D
internal plugin BalloonEnginePlugin generated as B2DPlugin
internal plugin BitBltSimulation generated as BitBltPlugin
internal plugin DSAPlugin generated as DSAPrims
internal plugin DeflatePlugin generated as ZipPlugin
internal plugin FFIPlugin generated as SqueakFFIPrims
internal plugin KlattSynthesizerPlugin generated as Klatt
internal plugin LargeIntegersPlugin generated as LargeIntegers

Very confusing.

Ken G. Brown