[Vm-dev] coordination between the olpc and official svn branches

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Nov 11 14:06:24 UTC 2008

On 10.11.2008, at 14:35, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:14:03AM +0100, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm trying to maintain the squeak-vm in Debian, but everyday is
>> being harder. I was using the trunk branch, but finally I have almost
>> decided to give it up and I'm going to use the olpc branch.
>> Changes from the olpc branch to trunk are being passed in a poor way:
>> some directories are forgotten (Gstreamer or Ogg don't compile as the
>> unix directories have been passed, but not the Cross ones), fixes are
>> not passed (pango support is broken in the trunk branch, etc)
>>
>> So, please, I'd like to know if this is going to change, or if I just
>> should give up, use the olpc branch and forgot about the "official"
>> squeak-vm branch.
>
> Slightly off topic, but just to check:
>
> If there are any OLPC changes that belong in the base VMMaker package,
> I would like to harvest them in VMMaker on SqueakSource. My
> understanding
> is that the OLPC plugins are being maintained elsewhere, which is a
> good
> thing, but if there are any supporting change sets that should be
> collected please let me know.

Hi David,

I'm attaching a snapshot of the VMMaker we were using in the OLPC
branch. Our full VMMaker image is at

	http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/vmm/

This started out with some version of Tim's and had various changesets
applied ...

ClipboardExtendedPlugin is new, DropPlugin allows drag out of Squeak,
SocketPlugin grew IPv6 support (or rather, arbitrary address
families), SoundPlugin allows access to device parameters.

Of the Interpreter changes, I think only #primitiveBeCursor is still
relevant (adds ARGB support), the rest of the differences should come
from the sqUInt cleanups.

The other plugins used for OLPC (GStreamer, Kedama2, Ogg, Rome,
ImmX11, DBus) are not actually OLPC specific, and some don't even have
a real home, so maybe we should move them into VMMaker?

- Bert -