[Vm-dev] mmap, changes to co-ordinate mapping to particular address to avoid oops address remapping at startup time.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 26 20:10:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 01:39:30PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Ok, I check this out, seems ok. I check in the macintosh changes.  I
> assume here if you stick this in VMMaker the
> windows and unix version will compile without changes.  If so can you
> update VMMaker then?

The changes are now in VMMaker-dtl.109 on SqueakSource.

The change set is also on Mantis 7233: mmap mapping to particular address
to avoid oops address remapping at startup time.

Andreas, Ian: No changes are required for Windows or Unix platform sources.

- Dave

>From the preamble:

Change Set:		Interpreter-readImageFromFile-jmm-dtl
Date:			23 October 2008
Author:			David T. Lewis

Pass image file and image header length to object memory allocation
function in order to enable mmap loading without address swizzling,
per jmm proposal.

CCodeGenerator will provide default implementations in interp.h that are
backward compatible with the existing platform support code. These defaults
may be overridden by adding definitions such as the following to sqConfig.h
(or config.h via configure for the unix VM).

#define allocateMemoryMinimumImageFileHeaderSize(heapSize, minimumMemory, fileStream, headerSize) \
    myMemoryAllocator(heapSize, minimumMemory, fileStream, headerSize)

#define sqImageFileReadEntireImage(memoryAddress, fileStream, elementSize,  length) \
    myImageFileReader(memoryAddress, fileStream, elementSize,  length)