[Vm-dev] UUID new crashes 64bit vm

John M McIntosh jmmcintosh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 16:48:22 UTC 2008

Yes, well however I'd suggest one peers at that smalltalk code and
adjust things to pull a chunk of bits from /dev/urandom in a single read
and mask off the number of bits needed, versus the loop that is there
making bits. This would be safer and likely faster since the fallback
code
is based on squeak smalltalk based random number generator which  has
numerous cryptographic flaws and there exists a probability that
UUID generated from the existing code *could* repeat given just the
right circumstances.