[Vm-dev] current steps for Mac VM build?

Jay Hardesty jay.hardesty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 00:36:03 UTC 2009

Hi - I've built VM's numerous times in the past, but currently having
no luck trying to build a Mac Carbon VM on a Intel Mac running 10.5.6,
using Xcode 3.1.3.

In short (more detail below), I get a link error: library not found
for lcrt1.10.5.o

Details for the 3.8-image-6665 src-rev-1444 attempt (leaving aside
details of the previous attempt using a 3.10 image src-rev-1963 that
ended up with sqVirtualMachine.o undefined's):

Following the readme (platforms/Mac OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt) I
took a basic 3.8 image version 6665, installed Balloon3D, and
VMMaker-3.8b6.

Downloaded version 1444 of the svn source tree (based on the comment
in the VMMaker 3.8b6 changeset).

Filed in (removing line-feeds as needed):
VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs
VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs
ArraysToGlobalStruct-JMM.1.cs
Gnuifier.6.cs
(JMM-fixBiasToGrow.1.cs.zip is not in the source tree, and don't see
it in my change sets - any case left out)

Generated sources (after setting plugins etc as directed), , renamed
the result from "src32" to "src", and then gnuified.

Placed SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj, resources, and Squeak VM
Universal-Info.plist in the directory containing "src' and
"platforms".

Selected "Deployment" as target in xcode and compiled, with result:
 "library not found for lcrt1.10.5.o"

Some questions:
Which "Base SDK" setting: 10.3.9. 10.4, 10.5?  (tried clean builds with each)
Should I really (still) be using version 1444 of the source?
Ditto for Squeak 3.8 6665 (versus a 3.9 or 3.9 image)?

Thanks for any help,
Jay