[Vm-dev] 'Run object as method' is flawed in VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:43:50 UTC 2009

2009/12/9 Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to play with this feature and found that if i install a
>> smallinteger into method dictionary as a method
>> and then try to invoke that method, my VM is crashing.
>>
>> testCrashWithSmallInt
>>        self class methodDict at: #answer10 put: 10.
>>        self should: [self answer10] raise: MessageNotUnderstood.
>>        self class basicRemoveSelector: #answer10.
>
> Is this a feature that I don't know about? What is the expected behaviour?
>
> I'd expect the VM to crash or fail if it tries to execute an object
> rather than bytecodes.

This is very useful feature in a sense that it fills the gaps in VM
security and, in fact, in useful manner.
A method dictionary can be invalid, can be missing AND can contain an
arbitrary objects as methods.
VM should not crash under any of those circumstances.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.