[Vm-dev] Something wrong while compiling VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 11 00:51:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:21:06PM -0200, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

> But I forgot something really important. The plugins were created
> through VMMaker to a directory & then they're made to substitute plugins
> at ~/Softwares/squeak/platforms/unix/vm/src

This may be cause of your problem. Do not use the source files in
platforms/unix/vm/src. If you are building your own plugin or changing
the configuration of plugins being built, then it is better to use VMMaker
to generate all of the source files into a clean directory. Then when you
run configure, you can use the "--src= " command line option to specify
the new source directory. When you run make, it will compile your freshly
generated source files rather than mixing your newly generated plugin
source with the older source and header files in platforms/unix/vm/src.

You can think of the generated source files as transient files, like the
*.o files produced by a C compiler. The files in the platforms/unix/vm/src/
directory are a snapshot of the generated source files that were used for
the last official VM build. But if you are building a VM yourself, it is
usually best to just generate your own source files into a clean directory.
This will ensure that the generated header and source files are consistent,
and and also that that all of your source files were generated by the same
version of VMMaker.