[Vm-dev] Packaging vm 3.11.3 for Debian

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 29 14:57:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:55:12PM +0100, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez wrote:

> Hi, in the process to upload a new version of the vm to Debian, I've
> been redoing the packaging and testing it a bit.
> The results are available at
> http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-squeak/packages/squeak-vm/trunk/debian/ or to anyone joining to the collaborative project to maintain squeak in Debian:
> https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-squeak/

Excellent, thanks!

> This is a brief collection of the problems I got after testing:
> - The scripts squeak & squeak.sh don't work in Debian (or don't do it
> for me)
>
> - Gstreamer and Pango plugins segfault in amd64, so any image using them
> will segfault in this architecture. So latest version of etoys will have
> this problem.

I can confirm this. I believe that there are some underlying issues with
SurfacePlugin that affect Pango and possibly others on 64-bit hosts.
No fix is available at the present time.

I just realized that we don't have a Mantis report for this issue, so
I added one: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7433

> - There are lintian problems with the FFI plugin, the error is explained
> here: http://lintian.debian.org/tags/shlib-with-non-pic-code.html and
> some possible workarounds are available
> http://sam.zoy.org/blog/2007-04-13-shlib-with-non-pic-code-have-inline-assembly-and-pic-mix-well

Note also that FFI does not yet work on 64-bit systems:
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7237
Fixing this will also correct the lint warnings that you are seeing.