[Vm-dev] A Smalltalk object database idea

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Dec 29 16:39:17 UTC 2009

Stephen Pair wrote:
> OOZE and LOOM by Ted Kaehler, et al did this kind of thing.  Here's a link to the 1981 article on OOZE:http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~eswierk/misc/kaehler81/
> It mentions LOOM, but doesn't go into detail...I think the more detailed LOOM paper(s) are in the ACM digital library.

There are some papers, but chapter 14 of the "green book" is probably
the best place to learn about LOOM. The book is available at

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/BitsOfHistory/

Though LOOM (and OOZE) are actually virtual memory systems rather than
databases, if you don't define what you mean by "database" then they are
probably good enough for most uses. Going more in the direction of
industry standard databases, Gemstone is a great example of what can be
done in Smalltalk. This paper (which I can't read right now) probably
has some information about it:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=125223.125254

-- Jecel