[Vm-dev] [VM-team] SoundPlugin updates for 64-bit (Mantis 7103)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 29 19:09:11 UTC 2009

Updates to the platforms code and VMMaker are needed to make SoundPlugin
work on 64-bit platforms. This is a coordinated change affecting all platforms.

I'm not sure of folks' schedules right now, so Ian, John, Andreas - are you
available to do the updates over say the next two weeks or so?

The following steps are required:

Dave:
 - Update SoundPlugin in VMMaker with patches from Mantis 7103.

Ian:
 - Update platforms/Cross and platforms/unix. The diffs on Mantis 7103
   are slightly out of date, so I am attaching a fresh copy of the affected
   files (M7103-platforms.tgz).
   These are:
       platforms/Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
       platforms/unix/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSound.c
       platforms/unix/vm/SqSound.h
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-NAS/sqUnixSoundNAS.c
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-Sun/sqUnixSoundSun.c
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-MacOSX/sqUnixSoundMacOSX.c
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-null/sqUnixSoundNull.c
       platforms/unix/vm-sound-OSS/sqUnixSoundOSS.c

Andreas:
 - Update platforms/win32/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqWin32Sound.c to match
   the new declarations in SoundPlugin.h. I believe this will involve only
   changing various int declarations to the appropriate sqInt or (void *)
   declarations, then testing to make sure sound still works. However, I
   have not tried a windows build to verify this.

John:
 - Update the files in platforms/Mac OS/plugins/SoundPlugin/ with declarations
   to match SoundPlugin.h in Cross. I'm not sure what needs to be done here,
   although I think that current OS X support is based on the unix SoundPlugin,
   so you may be able to use the update in platforms/unix.
 - I'm not sure of the implications (if any) for your new VM work or for iPhone.

Dave

--- background ---

For reference this was the suggested "to-do" list that I posted a while back.
These updates will complete step #2 on the list. Note, with John's recent
64-bit work and new VM development, we will no doubt have a few new
items to add to the list :)

1) Closure support (COMPLETE)
 - All major VM distributions should support images with closure bytecodes.

2) Changes to support Etoys and teaching for kids.
 - Mantis 7266: SerialPlugin doesn't handle arbitrary nodes names (COMPLETE)
 - Mantis 7103: Playing sounds in linux 64 bits causes a vm segmentation fault
   (subject of this note - NEXT UP on the list)

3) Some simple updates for 23/64 bit platforms.
 - Mantis 7236: Make AsynchFilePlugin work on 32/64 bit images and 32/64 bit unix VMs
 - Mantis 6828: make FileCopyPlugin work on 32/64 bit images and 32/64 bit unix VMs
 - Current status: These are minor updates, low priority but easy to do. Patches
   are available but must be coordinated for all platforms.

4) 64-bit FFI (Interpreter updates as well as FFI)
 - Mantis 7237: Make FFI work on 64 bit platforms
 - Current status: Patches are available, but additional work and testing may
   be required on some platforms. I consider this update important because it
   effects the interpreter as well as FFI itself, e.g. these changes are
   a prerequisite to closing out the issues in Mantis 6987: "signed32BitValueOf:,
   signed64BitValueOf: etc. broken".