[Vm-dev] Building a 64-bit VM for FreeBSD

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed Feb 11 11:24:30 UTC 2009

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:31:12AM +0200, Frank Shearar wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm trying to wrap my head around how to use VMMaker to generate source
for
> > a VM.
>
> The Unix build instructions are included in the platforms sources:
>   http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/doc/

<snip>
> Let VMMaker put the generated sources in ./src32, and do the build in
./build32.
> The symlink to ./src is used by configure and make to find the sources.

Thanks for the response, David.

I still don't understand the process. (I promise, I did read the FAQ and the
64-bit Unix Squeak pages!) OK, so there's a Subversion repository for the
Squeak VM. And there's VMMaker. Now if I run VMMaker (having first created a
./platform/unix), I get a small number of files. For instance, in the vm
directory there's interp.c, interp.h and sqNamedPrims.h. These files aren't
in the svn repository.

Should VMMaker have its "Path to generated sources" point to the checked-out
svn repository instead, so the VMMaker-generated files alter the repository?

frank