[Vm-dev] 64bit FFI?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 12 12:39:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:32:02AM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> Has anyone tried porting the FFI to 64 bit? I'm loosely considering
> using a 64bit VM for our servers but I do need the FFI (mostly for ODBC
> integration) and I've never looked at any of the ABIs. Alternatively, is
> it reasonable to try to use 64bit libs from within a 32bit Squeak VM?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Yes, I have done this:
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7237
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2008-May/001945.html

The changes are fairly extensive, and will require a coordinated update
of the platforms and VMMaker sources. I will be happy to help in any
way I can.

It would be best to do the updates at some time when you, John and
Ian are all available to commit the platforms updates at more or less
the same time. On the VMMaker side, I can do updates on SqueakSource,
and also provide stand-alone changes sets for updating other VMMaker
code bases (I think that the necessary change sets are all on Mantis
already).

It goes without saying that a careful review of my changes would be
in order ;)