[Vm-dev] Building a 64-bit VM for FreeBSD

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Fri Feb 13 19:21:12 UTC 2009

"Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 12.02.2009, at 13:53, David T. Lewis wrote:

> >> If the goal is just to make a usable VM on a 64-bit Linux system, is
> >> the VMMaker step necessary? I thought not, but if the sources fail to
> >> compile out-of-the-box then we should try to fix that.
> >
> > I guess that the platforms/unix/src sources should work in principle,
> > although I would not be surprised if there are problems when compiling
> > on a 64-bit system. The platforms/unix/src source probably contain
> > source for plugins that have not been updated for 64-bit.
> >
> > Personally, I'm just in the habit of using VMMaker and I tend to
> > think of the platforms/unix/src files as something that is there
> > mainly for reference.
>

> Well it's also there for convenience, so a standard "configure; make;
> make install" works.

I'd hoped it would be this simple. I'd be happy to find out that no, it's
just me being silly, and not a bug in the codebase. I _didn't_ find it as
simple as configure; make; make install. It took me pasting snippets of gcc
output to a C fundi to come up with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS and such to get a
VM compiled.

I'm happy, if it's not simply a malconfigured system on my part, to
periodically run a smoke-test on my machine.

frank