[Vm-dev] Best and latest VMs for Open Cobalt release?

ed.boyce at duke.edu ed.boyce at duke.edu
Sat Feb 14 18:49:29 UTC 2009

Everyone,

   Open Cobalt (http://opencobalt.org -- based on Open Croquet) is nearing its
public alpha release.  We would like to ship Open Cobalt with the most
up-to-date VM possible on Mac, Linux and Windows, preferably at the same
version on each.  Ideally, that would probably mean 3.10.4 on every platform.

   Looking at http://squeak.org/Download/ and http://squeakvm.org, I see various
latest version #'s available for the different platforms.  One possible course
of action I could take is do fresh builds on each platform from the current
subversion sources.  But before go through that exercise, I would like to ask
the knowledgeable members of this list:

    1) What is the latest STABLE version of the Squeak VM that is available for
all three major platforms?

    2) Is there any reason anyone can think of that this latest version would
not be suitable and stable for Open Cobalt's alpha debut? This would include
performance issues. If so, what is the most recent VM that would be suitable
and stable?

    3) We would like to expand the number of platforms that Cobalt is available
on.  Does anyone know of Squeak VM builds on platforms such as Solaris and
FreeBSD that have the functioning openAL and openGL bindings necessary for
Cobalt?

    All pointers, links, tarballs, and advice will be most appreciated.

        Best Regards,

           Ed Boyce
           for the Open Cobalt Project