[Vm-dev] Best and latest VMs for Open Cobalt release?

ed.boyce at duke.edu ed.boyce at duke.edu
Sat Feb 14 20:31:51 UTC 2009

Quoting John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:

> If you are making a one-click application then you should consider if
>  you need to change
>
> (a) the document types information
> (b) the name of the executable
> (c) the get info string, perhaps retain the VM version number
> (d) the icon file
> (e) the bundle identifier, name, OS Type, verson string, creator, &  version
> (f) Drop the Services unless you want to offer your app in the  Services menu
> (g) SqueakImageName is ?
> (h)  SqueakMaxHeapSize is ? (512MB, bigger? smaller?)
> (i) The SqueakTrustedDirectory & SqueakUnTrustedDirectory
> (j) SqueakEncodingType  is that application macroman or does it
> really  understand UTF-8 file names? Most vertical apps opt for
> UTF-8 after they have ensured any broken file name translation code
> in  the image has been purged.

   We will be changing the VM's application's name and registration to
Cobalt.app with a new Cobalt specific application registration that we
obtained
from Apple.  This is seemly necessary because we generated new .icns
files, but
the system didn't seem to want to recognize them, clinging to the Squeak
filetype associations.  In searching through the MacOS specific source files,
we found a couple of places where we need to swap out the Squeak
application ID
for Cobalt's.  But if you had a comprehensive list of code locations
where this
change is necessary, that would be a great help.  Are we correct in our
conclusion that there's no way to change the app registration short of doing a
rebuild?

> Icon files, which do you need, or do you have replacements?

  We've made Cobalt replacements for all of these. Besides changing the
filename
references in info.plist and changing the app registration, do you know
of other
steps that will be necessary?