[Vm-dev] Re: headerTypeBytes oddity

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 19 01:13:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> sorry for ranting , but i tend to hate more and more VMMaker's code generator :)
> It lacks a most critical feature, which is highly important for such
> complex projects like VM: data encapsulation.
> To write a quite simple method, i have spent 10 hours , rewriting it
> again and again , splitting it to more shorter methods, just to keep
> code readable (if 'readable' term can be applied to slang ;) .

FWIW, there are a number of fixes for slang code generation and inlining
on Mantis and included in the SqueakSource VMMaker project. I have
tried to keep pointers to the Mantis entries in the MCZ headers so
you can find the relevant change sets on Mantis. If you are writing
methods with embedded C code or declarations and you want the inliner
to work, you will probably want to have these.