[Vm-dev] newDelta >0 failed in sqUnixMemory -- Was Re: [Pharo-project] Incompatibility between Pharo and Seasidehosting

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 22 14:16:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:47:40PM +0100, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> I downloaded Ian's image/changes bundle named unix-3.10-4.vmm.tar.gz from http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
> and looked into it a bit.
>
> In ObjectMemory biasToGrow it looks like the problem is
>
> biasToGrow
> 	| growSize |
> 	growSize :=  growHeadroom*3/2 - (self sizeOfFree: freeBlock)
> 	self growObjectMemory: growSize
>
> there are no '.'s after the lines.  Shouldn't it look like:
>
> biasToGrow
>         | growSize |
>         growSize :=  growHeadroom*3/2 - (self sizeOfFree: freeBlock).
>         self growObjectMemory: growSize.
>
> that?
>
> It looks like the slang interpreter/translater must be coughing a bit on what is basically
> slight invalid syntax, right?

This is http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6667. The fix was applied to VMMaker-tpr.63.
You are probably using sources generated from VMMaker 3.8b6, which is the same as
VMMaker-tpr.58, so the sources you are using would not have this fix.

If someone can build a VM using more up to date VMMaker and verify that the problem
goes away, that would be good. I suggest using VMMaker-dtl.113 from the VMMaker
project on SqueakSource for this. (Note, there is a more recent VMMaker-eem.114 that
contains Eliot's updates for block closures, but you may have trouble loading it
into some Squeak/Pharo images. The glitch may be sorted out by the time you read
this, if not just stick with VMMaker-dtl.113 or earlier for now.)

> I guess that next up I have to figure out how to actually run vm maker :-)

Yes :)