[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] newDelta >0 failed in sqUnixMemory

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jan 30 21:25:17 UTC 2009

John M McIntosh wrote:
> With 4.0.1 the compiler optimizations tweaks in the macintosh carbon VM
> build give it a good 10%? better than the defaults optimizations.
> However that presupposes  -mtune=prescott -march=pentium-m   which one
> can get away with on the macintosh platform, versus the
> bazillion cpu choices & clones on the Wintel side.

I think it would be okay to optimize by default for the more modern CPU
variants. One thing that would be interesting is if you could run
benchmark comparison of your latest Mac production VMs against a Windows
  VM running under Parallels or (even better) Bootcamp on the same hardware.

Cheers,
   - Andreas