[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jul 17 16:46:32 UTC 2009

On 17.07.2009, at 18:25, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> Am 17.07.2009 um 13:23 schrieb Damien Cassou:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Andreas Raab<andreas.raab at gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>> In any case, what is the process that users have to go through to
>>> get a
>>> closure-enabled VM on their preferred Unix flavor?
>>
>> Download the 'GNU/Linux and other Unix' VM from:
>
> I don't understand why UNIX is mentioned if only a Linux VM is
> available under this entry.
> I really would like to see a real (and actual) UNIX VM available for
> download.

There are very few non-Linux Unix users in the Squeak community. If
someone would step forward to maintain a Solaris or *BSD or whatever
unixy VM binary they would be welcome. Until then, everyone who needs
it compiles their own.

Alternatively, someone could set up compiling VMs on a build farm,
which various projects do provide (even for free). That way we'd get
more VM binaries (and hopefully the users would report back with
problems).

- Bert -