[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 17 21:15:27 UTC 2009

Am 17.07.2009 um 22:55 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:

> On 17.07.2009, at 22:36, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

>>> /usr/local is just the default location for user-compiled
>>> software. If you are building system packages you can of course
>>> change that, use the prefix option for the configure script.
>> /usr/local violates SysV specs. User compiled software should be
>> installed to /opt for SysV. /usr/local is only valid for BSD and
>> Linux systems.
>>
>> Andreas
>

> Ah. Good to have experts :) That should be fixed in configure then
> (or maybe configure even knows and we override its defaults?)

I am not an expert for autoconf and related things. As far as I know /
usr/local is the default and you have to override it with --prefix=
options (usually several are available).
What it makes even more complicated is the fact that SysV asks not to
use /opt/bin, opt/lib and so on but instead /opt/<package>/bin, /opt/
<package>/lib and so on.
For example one could have /opt/squeak/ with sub directories bin, lib
and what else is needed.
Compiling squeak has some prerequisites like gmp, mpfr and libffi that
need to find homes, too (if not already available at default places).
As the aforementioned libraries are not delivered I have to build them
or have to find providers (like OpenCSW or Blastwave). As I think that
it will be more convenient
for Squeakers I intend to provide them in a separate package. So
nobody needs to deal with 3rd party packages.
At the moment I am not sure whether to use /opt/squeak as the base
directory or something different.

Andreas