[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jul 19 14:40:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 08:45:13AM +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> Am 18.07.2009 um 00:40 schrieb David T. Lewis:
> >
> >On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 09:55:09PM +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> >
> >>Of course I am also waiting for the closure changes appearing in the
> >>UNIX sources...
> >
> >No need to wait, all of the necessary changes are already in the
> >VMMaker
> >package. There is no unix-specific code involved.
> >
> I still don't have experiences with VMMaker. It's a little bit
> confusing to have
> sources on squeakvm.org and also VMMaker. I will try it out as soon as
> I have
> a running squeak on Solaris...

If you are trying to build a VM for any unix species other than what
you find on Ian's distribution page, then you should consider it an
absolute requirement to use VMMaker to generate the sources. The
files in platforms/unix/src will pretty much always be out of date,
as they are a snapshot of generated sources as of whenever Ian may
have last built a distribution.

It will take you a few hours of messing around with the VMMaker tool
to get used to it, but the investment will save you a lot of confusion
and wasted time.

Yes it is confusing to have a copy of the generated sources in the
platforms tree, but it seems to be important for Linux distribution
builders to have access to the C code, so I think it still needs to
be there despite the confusion.