[Vm-dev] Unix VM closure enabled?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Jul 19 17:01:36 UTC 2009

Am 19.07.2009 um 16:40 schrieb David T. Lewis:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 08:45:13AM +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

>>> No need to wait, all of the necessary changes are already in the
>>> VMMaker
>>> package. There is no unix-specific code involved.
>>>
>> I still don't have experiences with VMMaker. It's a little bit
>> confusing to have
>> sources on squeakvm.org and also VMMaker. I will try it out as soon
>> as
>> I have
>> a running squeak on Solaris...
>
> If you are trying to build a VM for any unix species other than what
> you find on Ian's distribution page, then you should consider it an
> absolute requirement to use VMMaker to generate the sources. The
> files in platforms/unix/src will pretty much always be out of date,
> as they are a snapshot of generated sources as of whenever Ian may
> have last built a distribution.
>
> It will take you a few hours of messing around with the VMMaker tool
> to get used to it, but the investment will save you a lot of confusion
> and wasted time.
>
> Yes it is confusing to have a copy of the generated sources in the
> platforms tree, but it seems to be important for Linux distribution
> builders to have access to the C code, so I think it still needs to
> be there despite the confusion.
>
> Dave
I have created a Solaris-10 SPARC package from Squeak-3.10-5 sources
with minor patches
in the SocketPlugin for UNIX. This has no closure support yet and I
expect FFI will not work because
of the actual state of the libffi that I used. It depends on the
runtime libraries for gcc-4.3.2 from
Sun (SUNWgccfss432_runtime.tar.bz2 file downloadable from Sun).

The next step is to get some experiences with VMMaker and to create
closure sources with it.
Some simple speed test results for my momentary SPARC machines (taken
with Cuis):

" Blade 2500 (2*1,6GHz UltraSPARC-IIIi): "
0 tinyBenchmarks '97190584 bytecodes/sec; 4133412 sends/sec'

" Blade 2500 (2*1,28GHz UltraSPARC-IIIi): "
0 tinyBenchmarks '77015643 bytecodes/sec; 3275651 sends/sec'

" Blade 2000 (2*1,2GHz UltraSPARC-III)"
0 tinyBenchmarks '73101085 bytecodes/sec; 2990128 sends/sec'

" E250 (2*300MHz UltraSPARC-II):"
0 tinyBenchmarks '19643953 bytecodes/sec; 761256 sends/sec'

Regards
Andreas