[Vm-dev] the initial memory allocation interface...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 25 14:34:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 05:23:51PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Really the whole issue is the memory allocation, read into memory,
> grow shrink can be re-done, as you noticed it started simple with a
> malloc() then
> grew into something more complicated and twisted trying not to modify
> code in VMMaker, so you could build with old src code yet get newer
> memory allocation logic.

I'm somewhat responsible for the complicated and twisted part of this,
which could easily be extended to something only slightly more complicated
and twisted if the only motivation is to answer the size of the allocated
memory as a by-product of the allocation request.

But what is the motivation for the question? Is the concern just to be
able to release memory back to the platform, or is there a more general
need for a memory allocation interface to support future object memory
designs?