[Vm-dev] urgent info required on Slang's shift treatment...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 3 19:58:53 UTC 2009

Er, well the shift left/right assembler operations are signed or
unsigned, but TYPED languages usually figure out which one to use
based on the type of the operators.

But since Smalltalk is type-less,

What if you code up a unsigned shift operator so there is no question
that you want to do unsigned shifting, which also makes the  SLANG
coder just a bit more aware he has a choice to make, casting is ok,
but people forget. Also I can do senders of, then later wonder why am
I not doing that here/there?

Having been bitten by signed shifting issues in the past, I can agree
it's unpleasant.

PS I note we have methods  to  do unsigned compare logic when dealing
with oop address so that *we* know we are doing something special,
since people
just couldn't manage the casts correctly.

--
=
=