[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 07:48:36 UTC 2009

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> And many other places using Debian Edu now know of Squeak and, whenever
> they want to use a good ltsp server for the classes, they can not use
> Squeak. So, from my point of view, at least fixing sound and pango is
> urgent in 64 bits VMs, as both things are used by default in the etoys
> image. Fixing the browser plugin should be done also for all the archs,
> obviously.

The difficulty is that we're all busy doing other things and very little
time and effort is being put into the 64bit port. It's also a bit
surprising for me to find out that you're looking at deploying on that
scale without having at least one dedicated VM person. I have found that
for really shipping Squeak you do need a VM person - if only to make
sure you have the right icon, the right fixes, the right plugins and
whatever else might go into your particular deployment. It doesn't have
to be Eliot (though that wouldn't hurt ;-) but someone needs to be on
top of these issues. In which case that is the person who should look at
fixing these problems in your context and, after fixing them for your
application, how we can integrate this into the VM proper.

Cheers,
   - Andreas