[Vm-dev] Compiling squeak-vm for Linux 64bit

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 17 17:47:23 UTC 2009

Someone might want to look into if the project read is using the
multibyte streams in text mode. If so in my past experience with
Sophie is that a read requires reading
byte by byte, which actually ends up reading a byte by byte from the
file system. Although this is *fast* (a relative term) because stdio
caches data for reading,
perhaps the 32 to 64 thunking between the C code and the 32/64 stdio
is intensive.

For Sophie and other products we would suck the entire file into a
read//write internal stream, then pass that to the multibyte stream
reader.

For writing the pattern is even worse because the multi-byte logic in
text mode writes one byte at a time. Write 5 mb and it's 5 million
system calls and the overhead is quite large. For Sophie we built a
caching output stream that would stream out to memory, then at close
time flush the contents to the file stream.

PS you can see this on unix systems by looking at system calls (or the
like).

--
=
=