[Vm-dev] Crash on start-up.

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:25:02 UTC 2009

On 3/23/09, Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I next have time (Tuesday evening?) I'll submit a patch for this:
>
> - rename primSetInputSemaphore: to primSetInputSemaphoreIndex:.
> - Add checks in the VM: must be a SmallInteger, must be a valid index in
> the
> external objects table, must point to a Semaphore.
> - Add error handling code in the method itself.

I tried with some success, but now my compiled VM just starts up with
a black box in the top left, the rest of the screen is white and about
80% CPU is consumed. This is on Linux after accidently closing the
VMMaker window and reopening it.

Is this a common occurance that is easy to fix?

My attempt at fixing the input semaphore problem is attached to
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7320, if anybody has interest. I
can't test it because of the above problem.

The original Interpreter>>primitiveInputSemaphore has problems. It
does not pop off the stack if the C code fails. "TheInputSemaphore" is
nil, and gets translated to "null" in interp.c.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/