[Vm-dev] IPv6 support for Windows

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Mar 27 16:50:02 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

> this year). If you have a real need for IPv6, send some code my way and
> I'll integrate it.

OK, here's my first stab at this. It is unfinished, but I've got to run
for today and thought I could as well post what I have so far.

The files in the zip simply go into the win32 SocketPlugin folder.

I had to add a couple of newer header files and define a few macros to
make it work on the current mingw version, as the socket header files
are missing crucial definitions.

The wspiapi.h emulates the newer functions on older Windows versions. If
we decide to require at least XP we could get rid of it.

Also attached is a partial change set adding image support code. Just
run "NetNameResolver testIPv6" to run a few sanity checks.

Known problem so far is that certain lookups trigger a getaddrinfo error
showing up in the error console. I haven't spent much time trying to
debug this. Hopefully someone with more familiarity with the socket code
might easily spot what goes wrong.

Probably more problems, haven't tested much yet.

If IPv6 isn't enabled on your windows XP machine you can do so by

     ipv6 install

And uninstall with

     ipv6 uninstall

Comments, suggestions appreciated :-)