[Vm-dev] mantis http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7349

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 8 03:34:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:06:48PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/5/7 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> >
> > Second, there is a higher level notion of whether something is compatible or
> > not - for example the return value from certain functions change in a 64 bit
> > image accordingly (I don't even know how a 32 bit plugin is prevented from
> > interacting with a 64 bit image today). Sometimes you really need a
> > high-level bit that tells you that the world has changed even if the names
> > stay the same.
> >
> this can be solved simply: add a function with 32 bit value, which
> could answer is VM 32 bit, or 64 bit.

It's already there. The expression "self bytesPerWord" translates to either
4 or 8 for 32-bit and 64-bit images respectively.

The implementation is in CCodeGenerator>>generateBytesPerWord:on:indent:
in VMMaker since VMMaker-dtl.90 on SqS. The change set is on Mantis 7182
if you need to load it into a different VMMaker.