[Vm-dev] Win32 VM Service facility broken?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 4 16:26:57 UTC 2009

Oh, that's right, now I remember. The problem was that I didn't have a
good way to determine whether the VM was started as service or not and
so (besides some heuristics) the only way to figure out was to contact
the service manager. This can take several seconds and was deemed
unacceptable when it turned out that plenty of people start Squeak
exclusively via just launching the executable instead of dragging an
image on it.

At this point I decided to disable it because there had so few uses of
this facility that I was aware of. That was *years* back.

There are two options: Either you compile your own VM that puts this
stuff back in, or you tell me how to *quickly* decide whether the VM is
actually running as a service. There is a high probability that such a
thing exists and I simply don't know about it since this code is a few
years old.

Cheers,
   - Andreas