[Vm-dev] Win32 VM Service facility broken?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:30:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Oh, that's right, now I remember. The problem was that I didn't have a good
> way to determine whether the VM was started as service or not and so
> (besides some heuristics) the only way to figure out was to contact the
> service manager. This can take several seconds and was deemed unacceptable
> when it turned out that plenty of people start Squeak exclusively via just
> launching the executable instead of dragging an image on it.
>
> At this point I decided to disable it because there had so few uses of this
> facility that I was aware of. That was *years* back.
>
> There are two options: Either you compile your own VM that puts this stuff
> back in, or you tell me how to *quickly* decide whether the VM is actually
> running as a service. There is a high probability that such a thing exists
> and I simply don't know about it since this code is a few years old.

Why not simply provide a command-line argument and require that to be
supplied to contact the service manager?  Wen configuring the VM to run as a
service that command-line parameter is passed and the VM contacts the
service manager in response.  In default use the command-line argument is
absent and the service manager is not contacted.

best
eliot