[Vm-dev] Win32 VM Service facility broken?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:35:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Why not simply provide a command-line argument and require that to be
>> supplied to contact the service manager?
>>

> Obviously that was the very first thing I tried way back when. Only to find
> out that there is no way to do just that (i.e., to pass in an argument to
> the service registration that would be passed along with the launch of the
> executable). As a consequence, I had to store the arguments (image name etc)
> in the registry and read them from there. If that has changed in later
> windows versions please point me to the appropriate documentation.

Editing the registry is apparently the way you have to do it.  See e.g.
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/documentation/current/WebServerConfig.pdf (&
search for srvany.exe).  But in the registry (as explained in
WebServerConfig.pdf) you can supply a command line and there-in include a
command-line parameter to tell the VM it is being run as a service.

Windows, an enterprise-ready operating system... with drive letters.  Yeah,
right.