[Vm-dev] Setting up a VMMaker image

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 11 06:46:49 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> This is a linker issue; freetype.a isn't included in the final VM link which
>> it needs if you want to make FT2Plugin internal. I'm not sure how to deal
>> with it in the long term, for now you can add the following line to
>> winbuild/Makefile (after the STDLIBS definition):
>>
>> STDLIBS += ../platforms/win32/plugins/FT2Plugin/freetype.a
>>

> Yeah.
> The solution is to change the main makefile to include
> 'makefile.extras' (if it exists), which should be located in plugin
> dirs,
> so in such  'makefile.extras' one could write:
>
> STDLIBS += ../platforms/win32/plugins/FT2Plugin/freetype.a
>
> but i don't remember the syntax for file inclusion, and not sure that
> make utility in Win32-Tools-1.2.zip  supports includes.

This exists and is actually already used by the external build of the
FT2Plugin (see platforms/win32/plugins/FT2Plugin/Makefile). The issue is
that a custom Makefile isn't included by default for the main VM build
(because it includes Makefile.plugin in return) so it's a bit of classic
recursive Makefile invocation / inclusion nightmare. Are there any
decent alternatives to make these days? (by "decent" I mean small and to
the point, not requiring megabytes of additional installation crap)

Cheers,
   - Andreas