[Vm-dev] Setting up a VMMaker image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 12 02:44:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:20:19AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Concerning alternatives, we having OSProcess... so it is possibly to
> write and run a build process (or just generate a makefiles)
> using VMMaker. I think this would be much better, simpler & leaner
> comparing to hand-crafted makefiles with ugly & bogus syntax, shell
> discrepancies and so on... :)

Funny you should mention it, I actually did this back in the time of
Squeak 2.8 or so, and I even had it integrated into the VMMaker user
interface so you could do a one-click build. See UnixProcess class>>makeVmIn:
for the remnants of that experiment.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's all that useful, given that I don't
even bother to use it myself any more. But it was kind of cool that it
worked ;-)

Also I suppose that I would need to re-motivate myself to get OSProcess
working properly on Win32 before it could be seriously considered for
this sort of thing.