[Vm-dev] An event driven Squeak VM

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 03:48:52 UTC 2009

2009/11/12 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:16:44PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Instead, why not expose the new VM abilities to language, so one could
>> tell that specified callout should use a specified thread. Something
>> like:
>>
>> threadHandle := Smalltalk currentThreadId.
>
> It is not hard to make these things accessible in the image, for example:
>
>  OSProcess thisOSProcess pthread ==> a ByteArray(240 166 184 224 255 255 255 255)
>
> (this on a 64-bit platform, hence the 8-byte handle)

its not really matters what object represents the thread handle (it
could be simple smallint).
And surely, its not that hard to expose some thread-aware API to
language level, given that VM _is_ thread-aware.
But by not exposing it, we losing another lever of control, using
which we could write a sophisticated software,
purely in smalltalk without getting down at C level.
That's what i ment to say.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.