[Vm-dev] ffi-test-main.c fails on FreeBSD

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Fri Nov 20 11:26:32 UTC 2009

I can report progress but no solution.

1. Since ffi-test-main failed to build with a simple "make" I had
assumed I needed to use libffi. I added a print statement to show the
values at the point of failure at line 361, the CHECK statement:

    ffiInitialize();
    for (ul= 0;  ul < 15;  ++ul)
      ffiPushSingleFloat(fa[ul]);
    GO(FFITypeSingleFloat, many);
    f= ffiReturnFloatValue();
    ffiCleanup();
    printf("%g %g %g %g\n", f, ff, f - ff, FLT_EPSILON);
    CHECK(f - ff < FLT_EPSILON);

It gave f and ff to be identical, f - ff zero, and FLT_EPSILON a very
small value. The strange thing was that the test did not fail. I
commented out my print statement and it failed. Weird.

I noticed I was not seeing the output from puts statements. Recalling
that this is typically a macro I looked to see if it had been defined,
and found this near the top of the file:

#if 0
# define dprintf(ARGS)  printf ARGS
# define puts(ARG)      puts(ARG)
#else
# define dprintf(ARGS)
# define puts(ARG)
#endif

I changed the zero to one and the output was verbose. No failure, even
with my print statement commented out.

I suspect there is some tricky coding here that works on some versions
of C and not others. The preprocessor, especially.

So I got to wondering why make without args failed. I traced the problem
to these lines from the Makefile

CPU=    $(shell ./ffi-config -cpu)
ABI=    $(shell ./ffi-config -abi)
LIB=    $(shell ./ffi-config -lib)

Running them manually gave x86, sysv and blank, but

OBJ=    ffi-test-main.o ffi-test.o $(CPU)-$(ABI).o $(CPU)-$(ABI)-asm.o

resolved to ffi-test-main.o ffi-test.o -.o --asm.o

which caused make to complain that it did not know how to make -.o.

I substituted like this

#OBJ=    ffi-test-main.o ffi-test.o $(CPU)-$(ABI).o $(CPU)-$(ABI)-asm.o
OBJ=   ffi-test-main.o ffi-test.o x86-sysv.o x86-sysv-asm.o

and the build completed.

Eventually I figured out that the shell construct works in gnu make.
FreeBSD does not use gnu make. It is available as gmake. I put back the
Makefile and used gmake and got a good build.

The results are inconclusive. The output is

slate01# ./main
passed ffi assertions (0 failed)
Problem passing 64bit structures

Is that because I am not using a 64bit CPU? Is that a show stopper?
Apparently not.

The thing is, this does not fix the real problem. If I load my 3.9 image
and install the FFI package from SqueakMap, then run the FFI-Tests in
SUnit runner I get 21 run, 0 passes, 0 expected failures, 0 failures, 21
errors, 0 unexpected passes. When I click on a result and open a
debugger I find

Error: Unable to find function address

invokeWithArguments: argArray
	"Manually invoke the receiver, representing an external function."
	<primitive: 'primitiveCalloutWithArgs' module:'SqueakFFIPrims'>
	^self externalCallFailed

externalCallFailed
	"Raise an error after a failed call to an external function"
	| errCode |
	errCode := ExternalFunction getLastError. "this allows us to look at
the actual error code"
	^self error: (ExternalFunction errorMessageFor: errCode).

error: aString
	"Throw a generic Error exception."

	^Error new signal: aString

If the	ffi-test-main.c tests are passing, why are the SUnit tests all
failing? Is that 64bit thing a big deal?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/