[Vm-dev] Can't compile squeak under 64bit linux

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 15 08:35:34 UTC 2009

On 15.10.2009, at 01:52, Patricio Palladino wrote:

> Hi everybody!, I'm trying to compile squeak under 64bit linux
> (archlinux) and get some errors. Can anybody help me please?
>
> I'm using this files http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak-3.8a-2.src.tar.gz
>  and http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak64-3.8g-6548.image.tar.gz

These are the wrong files. The regular VM compiles fine on 64 bits:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/

"squeak64" is the experimental 64 bit *image* support, which is
incompatible with all the Squeak images:

http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

Ian, can we change the squeak64 page again? The FAQ link is too subtle
apparently.

E.g. change title to "Squeak 64-bit image support (experimental)" and
add a warning on the top a la "<b>WARNING</b> If you merely want to
compile a Squeak VM for a 64 bit machine, you are on the <b>wrong</b>
page! Please use the <a href="/unix">regular VM</a> instead, which was
made 64 bit clean in the mean time. Try the FAQ ..."

- Bert -