[Vm-dev] iPhone security (Re: Squeak + Android and Dalvik!?)

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 03:28:12 UTC 2009

Yeah Safari has it's own "fast javascript engine." It's treated me
well, though I could see Google's money making v8 the king of the Hill
for both browsers in the long run.

I grok the technical implications of what you gentlemen are saying.
They're real. I wanted to diverge a bit though.

I don't think the technical issues come primarily from a real security
perspective: I believe that the biggest barriers to many of the things
we want to do (in particular, compile code on the device) stem from
Apple's *desire for control of the distribution channel*.

John, I've been wondering: Is this the main reason I cannot purchase
your Squeak VM on the App Store? I dig my wiki server, but I'd really
really like to be able to Squeak on my phone without voiding the
warranty.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM, John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2009-10-22, at 1:41 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>>> Its OK if you're Apple, right?  JavaScript is V8 (a JIT) on the iPhone isn't it?
>
> At least on Safari it is "Nitro".  So I guess Mobile Safari doesn't contain V8 either.
>

>>> And if Java is on the iPhone its probably a JIT too.
>>
>> Er yes, well it's your operating system, your hardware, your legal documents. One can do what one wants, as long as one can
>> keep the other guy out of your playpen. So who does hand executable pages to V8? Good question...
>>
>> Java is NOT on the iPhone. Neither is Flash.  *cough* well interpreted flash, Adobe has some static compiled
>> version they make or something now. Grind Flash thru some process, makes iphone app.
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Ron