[Vm-dev] trouble with FFI primitives

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Oct 23 13:09:08 UTC 2009

On 23.10.2009, at 14:41, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're experiencing something strange with Squeak and FFI on Linux.
> Could someone please give us some insight on the problem at hand, and
> how to solve it?
>
> /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3-2135/so.SqueakFFIPrims: cannot enable
> executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied

Try

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

If it works then, you need to figure out which compiler flags to use
to allow the stack to be executable. I'd expect compiling the VM (or
just the FFI module) on the same system as your library would make it
work. For enlightenment (or frustration, depending on your POV) read
this:

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nonselsec.pdf

- Bert -