[Vm-dev] Re: RFC: Unix 3.11.3-2116 VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 1 15:14:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:53:22PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> >From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> >Date: 21. Februar 2007 11:03:48 MEZ
> >Subject: Re: Printing callstacks from the Unix VM directly
> >
> >Patch attached. Invoke like
> >
> >	kill -USR1 12345
> >
> >- Bert -
>
> Can we add this to the VM? Helps debugging frozen images. Fully
> patched file attached below.
>
> Andreas, is this the patch you are still using? Or did you hook up
> printAllStacks() instead?
>
> - Bert -

One caution here, it is common for the SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 to be used
by third party libraries that someone might want to run with Squeak.
For example, the commercial c-tree isam libraries hook both these signals
(just something I happen to have at hand right now as an example), and
I would not be surprised if various other sound, video, or database
libraries do the same.  If we want to hook the SIGUSR1 signal it would
be best to have this as a settable option.

I did not look at this carefully; apologies if this is already included
in the patch.