[Vm-dev] Alien support in standard VM?

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 07:43:14 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Eliot Miranda<eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Actually, I think Michael's question was more on an immediate basis. As it stands there is a significant number of patches that one needs to scrape from the four corners of the universe before one can even begin to build the Alien FFI plugin. It would be helpful if this could be folded into VMMaker so that the plugin can be built out of the box.

(yes, I was rather about the near future.)

> Right.  But before it can go into the VM we need to throw away the x86-specificities.  And that means splitting the data manipulation facilities from the ABI machinery.  I can do that, but Michael volunteered :)

OK, I'm trapped. :-) Seems like a good opportunity to finally delve
into that Slang code. Oooooh.

As for your description, Eliot ("it would help if you would extract
the data manipulation parts of the IA32ABI plugin into e.g. Alienlugin
and rewrite all the data manipulation methods to use it.  Then
shoe-horn Alien marshalling into the FFIPlugin"), I will be back with
questions before I take it on, OK?

> I think the pragma issue has already been solved right?  There was a commit for the compiler yesterday that did that.

I did submit a fix for the compiler that makes those
<primitive:error:module:> pragmas available in the parser, yes.
Still, the fix does not hurt the compiler in any way, so it could
probably be pulled over into the trunk. Andreas, what is your opinion
on that?

Best,

Michael