[Vm-dev] About mantis 3929 (FPU register stack overflow)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 10 00:32:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:50:07PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3929 has been identified as a
> problem of FPU register stack overflow on linux VM.
>
> A single change of line 51 of x86-sysv-asm.S solved this problem:
>
>     fstpl ffiFloatReturnValue
>
> Though I did not write extensive tests, I used modified VM a while
> without problems.
>
> What do you think of inclusion in svn trunk ?

I recall some extensive discussion of this (some of which is documented
on the Mantis page), but no action since then. Barring any objections,
it sounds like this should be included in the svn trunk.

Ian, you may have missed the earlier discussions.

caveat: I have no expertise with FPUs and the subject is not the sort
of thing that would be improved by a democratic process, so I'll refrain
from casting my "+1" vote.