[Vm-dev] Why isn't signalSemaphoreWithIndex() thread-safe?

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sun Sep 20 21:49:39 UTC 2009

John M McIntosh wrote:

> Well there is no generic synchronizing code, so you are correct it has
> to be platform specific.
> When I wrote the original code a decade? back in the macintosh os-9
> era there was no agreement
> about doing platform specific implementations since at the time there
> was a tendency to keep all
> the code as generic as possible.
>
> So do you have a test case

No test case.

> or scenario where the code fails?

Just the obvious race condition.  Let's just look at the first case of
the if-statement; the case for the other buffer is symmetric.  Here's
the code in interp.c

    if (foo->semaphoresUseBufferA) {
        if (foo->semaphoresToSignalCountA < SemaphoresToSignalSize) {
            foo->semaphoresToSignalCountA += 1;
            foo->semaphoresToSignalA[foo->semaphoresToSignalCountA] = index;
        }
    }

Let's say that there are two native threads A and B that want to signal
semaphores with indices 7 and 8, and that there are no other semaphores
to be signalled.  Let's say that thread A is running until just after
"semaphoresToSignalCountA" is incremented, but is interrupted before it
assigns the index.  Then thread B runs, increments
"semaphoresToSignalCountA" again (so its value is now 2), and sets
foo->semaphoresToSignalA[2] = 8.  Then A resumes and stomps this value
by setting foo->semaphoresToSignalA[2] = 7.  Now the semaphore with
index 8 will not be signalled, and just as bad, the index stored in
oo->semaphoresToSignalA[1] is now garbage that will be treated as a
semaphore-index to signal.

Cheers,
Josh