[Vm-dev] Problems building rev 2181 on Linux

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Apr 10 20:35:37 UTC 2010

On 4/10/2010 12:28 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
> the problem with always loading the latest is that you end up having difficulty
> to load a given version of the past. Here you have only a limited of source entities to sync
> but as soon as you waht to have a couple of package it does not really scale.

That's why David said "in general". Yes, we're aware of that. It's why
we've always had file releases. If you want to rebuild precisely some
version of the VM you fetch the appropriate file release.

> This is why metacello is good like that we could in 3 years from now build again
> a system for 1.0.

Metacello does not help with that. What David was pointing out that if
people pull from head, then they need to do it consistently. Assuming
that a head version of SVN works with an old version that someone stuck
into Metacello is futile.

Cheers,
   - Andreas